Last Revised: November 1, 2022
This Privacy Notice (the “Notice”) explains how the Child Neurology Society acting on its own behalf and on behalf of the independent associations it manages, Professors and Educators of Child Neurology (“CNS,” “we,” “our,” or “us”), collects and processes your Personal Data. Each time you use or access the CNS website and/or our online platform (collectively, our “Site”), the current version of this Notice will apply. Accordingly, whenever you use or access our Site, you should check the date of this Notice (which appears at the top) and review any changes since the last version. This Notice is applicable to all Site visitors, registered users, and all other users of our Site.
“Personal Data” includes all information that enables us to identify you, directly or indirectly, by reference to an identifier such as your name, email address, phone number, address, identification number, location data, online identifier or one or more factors specific to your physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity.
By visiting www.childneurologysociety.org or related sites that are owned and operated by CNS accessed by link from this website (CNS Connect) you acknowledge that you have read and understood the processes and policies referred to in this Notice and you consent to the data practices described herein and agree to be bound by this Notice.
WHO WE ARE
The owner of this Site is Child Neurology Society registered in the State of Minnesota USA with a registered address at 1000 West County Road E, Suite 290, Saint Paul, Minnesota 55126.
HOW TO CONTACT US
If you have any questions or concerns about this Notice, please contact us using the Contact Us section on our Site.
Alternatively, you can contact us by phone at 651-486-9447, by sending on email to email@example.com or by mail to: 1000 West County Road E, Suite 290, Saint Paul, MN 55126 USA
HOW WE COLLECT PERSONAL DATA
Personal Data That You Give Us
We only have access to and/or collect information that you voluntarily provide us via our Site, any email you send us, your membership account, or other direct contact from you. We may collect and process the following Personal Data that you voluntarily provide to us:
- Contact information, which you provide when corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you participate in discussion boards (e.g., CNS Connect) and when you report a problem with our Site. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address, phone number, financial information and/or credit card information.
- Membership information, including your name, contact details such as address, phone number and email address (business or personal), year of admission and any other information related to your membership. Membership information may be provided by you during the application process and updated by you thereafter.
- Due payment information, including financial information such as credit/debit card and account numbers used to register or renew your membership. (Note: we do not collect or store any credit card information on our Site; all transactions are filtered through a secure third-party site (authorize.net (http://authorize.net/)) for direct deposit to our bank.
- Certification information, relating to continuing medical education programming, on-line or at annual meetings, in which members are granted certification if they meet specified educational requirements and/or pass an exam.
- Annual Meeting registration information, including credit card information for processing registration, contact and biographical information for badging, recognition ribbons, Continuing Medical Education and demographic aggregation, and communications related to meeting updates, invitations to receptions and exhibitor promotions. This information will be maintained by our contracted registration vendor to ensure optimal preparation, reservation, and distribution of information and material needed to gain entrance to and enjoy all the benefits of the CNS Annual Meeting. The CNS alone may authorize sharing of contact information, with shared information limited to mailing address (i.e., email and phone listings of full membership are never made available to third parties). Members and/or attendees at the CNS Annual Meeting may opt on their own volition to share or not share their email address with exhibitors via badge scans, sign-up sheets, etc.
- Annual Meeting photos. Photos taken at the CNS Annual Meeting may be posted on the CNS website, printed in CNS Connections, included in print and internet promotions related to future CNS Annual Meetings, and included in slide shows at subsequent CNS Annual Meetings. Meeting registrants not wishing to have their photos appear in the aforementioned modes and venues must so indicate in writing by emailing the CNS National Office (firstname.lastname@example.org .
Personal Data We May Collect From You
In addition, we may collect information about you through your use of the Site with software application tools and data files, such as cookies, web log files, IP addresses, devise state information, unique device identifiers, device hardware and OS information (“Usage Information”). With regard to your visit to the Site we will automatically collect the following information:
- Technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer or device to the Internet, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- Information about your visit, including pages you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page, and any phone number used to call our customer service number; and
- Location information, which we may collect and process through our Site about the location of your device using GPS or other location technologies, such as sensor data from your mobile device providing information about nearby Wi-Fi access points and cellular network towers (“Location Information”). We use Location Information solely as necessary to analyze and improve our Site.
We also collect information that is sent to us automatically by your web browser and we may use this information to generate aggregate statistics about visitors to our Site, including, without limitation:
- IP addresses
- Browser type and plug-in details
- Device type (e.g., desktop, laptop, tablet, phone, etc.)
- Operating system
- Local time zone
We may use this information for various business purposes such as providing customer service, fraud prevention, market research, and improving our Site. Please check your web browser if you want to learn what information your browser sends or how to change your settings. Please note that your election to remove our access to Personal Data, Usage Information, or Location Information may impact the functionality of the Site.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We use your Personal Data as necessary to operate our Site and as necessary to maintain your membership account. We will only process your Personal Data, including sharing it with third parties, where (1) you have provided your consent which can be withdrawn at any time, (2) the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party, (3) to enforce this Notice or if we are required by law, regulation, or other legal processes or comply with a valid order or process from a public authority, (4) processing is required to protect your vital interests or those of another person, (5) processing is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate commercial interests, except where such interests are overridden by your rights and interests; (6) to detect or prevent criminal activity or fraud; or (7) in the event that we or substantially all of our assets are acquired by one or more third parties as a result of an acquisition, merger, sale, reorganization, consolidation or liquidation, in which case such information may be one of the transferred assets.
Personal Data That You Give Us
We may use Personal Data that you provide directly to us for the following purposes:
- to carry out our obligations arising from your membership, or any other contract entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and membership services that you request from us;
- to organize events that you have purchased or registered for, and to provide you with information, and other materials, relating to the content of the event, the speakers, sponsors and other attendees;
- to provide our newsletter and other publications, provided you have given your consent;
- to respond to your questions or to respond to the reason you contacted us, and provide related membership services; to provide you with information about other events, products and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased, provided you have not opted-out of receiving that information;
- to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about events, products or services we feel may interest you, provided you have given your consent;
- to notify you about changes to our membership service; and
- to ensure that content from our Site is presented most effectively for you and your computer.
Information We Collect About You
We will use Personal Data that we have collected about your use of our Site:
- to administer our Site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes; to improve our Site to ensure that content is presented most effectively for you and your computer;
- as part of our efforts to keep our Site safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our Site about goods or services that may interest you or them;
- to facilitate communication between members for patient referrals and professional/research collaboration. Individual members may not share other members’ information accessed on the CNS website with any third party for any purpose, including but not limited to physician recruitment, political lobbying, or marketing of products and/or events
- Perform data analytics for our internal business purposes;
- Track use of our Site, investigate suspicious activity, and enforce our terms and policies; and
- Assess and improve our Site.
Personal Data We Receive From Other Sources
We will combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We will use this information and the combined Personal Data for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
WHEN WE SHARE AND WHO CAN ACCESS YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We may share your Personal Data for the purposes described in this Notice with:
- a member of the CNS or PECN
- partners, suppliers and sub-contractors, for the direct performance of obligations arising from your membership, or any other contract we enter into with them or you or to provide you with the information, products and membership services that you request from us; this includes the contracted vendor processing registration for the CNS Annual Meeting.
- analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimization of our Site
- trusted third-party companies and/or individuals with which we contract with for technical assistance providing, analyzing, and improving the Site and our membership services (including but not limited to data storage, maintenance services, database management, web analytics and payment processing)
Therefore, Personal Data may be provided to certain third party service providers listed above as necessary to provide our Site and related functionality (collectively “Third Party Providers”). We are responsible for assuring that these Third Party Providers comply with the terms of this Notice.
SELLING YOUR PERSONAL DATA
CNS may sell mailing lists to approved institutions and vendors but will never release emails or phone numbers. All email access to members is required to issue directly from the Child Neurology Society. Individual members may, in follow-up correspondence with third parties sending messages through the CNS National Office, voluntarily provide access to their own email and/or phone number; members are strictly prohibited from sharing email or phone numbers of other CNS members with third parties. Any member doing so is subject to loss of membership privileges.
Data security is implemented through physical, administrative, and technical safeguards we put in place and operational procedures we follow to protect your Personal Data. We restrict access to your Personal Data in our database to our authorized employees, agents, certain of our authorized business partners and/or authorized Third Party Providers as appropriate or necessary to provide the Site. All information you provide to us is stored on secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. Although we use security measures to help protect your Personal Data against loss, misuse, or unauthorized disclosure, we cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted to us over the internet. You are also responsible for taking reasonable steps to protect your Personal Data against unauthorized disclosure or misuse and you are responsible for protecting the security of your membership account and credentials and for any use of your membership account.
TRANSFER OF PERSONAL DATA OUTSIDE OF THE EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA (“EEA”) AND INTERNATIONAL USERS
We are headquartered in the United States. Your Personal Data may be accessed by us or transferred to us in the United States or to our affiliates, partners, merchants, or service providers who are located worldwide. If you are visiting our Site from outside the United States, be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States where our servers are located, and our central database is operated. By using our Site, you consent to any transfer of this information. We may transfer Personal Data from the European Economic Area and Switzerland to other countries, some of which have not been determined by the European Commission to have an adequate level of data protection. If we do, we use a variety of legal mechanisms, including contracts, to help ensure your rights and protections travel with your data; such contracts will conform to the standard clauses specified under the GDPR and we will remain liable for the protection of such Personal Data.
Personal Data is processed according to the provisions of this Notice and the requirements of applicable law wherever the data is located. If you are located outside of the United States, please be aware that data protection laws in the United States may differ from those of the country in which you are located, and your Personal Data can be subject to access requests from governments, courts, or law enforcement in the United States in accordance with and subject to the laws of the United States.
HOW LONG WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We will store your Personal Data for no longer than is necessary for the purpose for which the Personal Data is processed. We may retain and use your Personal Data as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, process your requests, provide your membership account, to operate our business and provide the Site, and enforce our agreements and rights, or if it is not technically reasonably feasible to remove it. Consistent with these requirements, we will try to delete your Personal Data quickly upon request. Please note that deletion of your Personal Data may affect your right to use our Site and may require de-activation of any membership account. While we will use reasonable efforts to de-active your membership account and to delete such Personal Data, we may be required to retain such Personal Data as required by our systems or our legal requirements. Until we have deleted all of your Personal Data, we will continue to honor our privacy and security obligations related to your Personal Data.
We will retain your information for as long as your membership account is active or as needed to provide you with access to our Site. If you wish to cancel your membership or request that we no longer use your information to provide you service, contact us at email@example.com.
Please note that in the event that we elect to de-identify your Personal Data, such de-identified information is no longer your Personal Data, and we may use such de-identified information, alone or in an aggregated basis to analyze our Site or as we deem appropriate.
WHERE WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
The Personal Data that you provide to us is generally stored on servers located in the United States. If you are located in another jurisdiction, you should be aware that once your Personal Data is submitted through our Site, it will be transferred to our servers in the United States in accordance with this Notice.
In compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, 15 U.S.C. § 6501.06 and 16 C.F.R. §§ 312.1-312.12, we do not knowingly collect information from children under the age of 13. Our Sites are not directed to children under the age of 13, if you are not 13 years or older, do not use our Site. We do not knowingly collect Personal Data from children under the age of 13. By using our Site, you represent that you are not younger than 13. If we learn that Personal Data of persons less than 13 years-of-age has been collected through our Site, we will take the appropriate steps to delete this information. If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child or a minor under the age of 13 has posted, submitted or otherwise communicated Personal Data to our Site without your consent, then you may alert us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we may take appropriate action to remove the minor’s Personal Data from our systems.
LINKS TO THIRD PARTY SITES AND SERVICES
Our Site may contain links to third party websites, applications and services not operated by us. These links are provided as a service and do not imply any endorsement by us of the activities or content of these third party sites, applications, or services nor any association with their operators. CNS is not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of any third party including websites or services directly linked to our website. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of any third party site that you link from our Site.
You may opt out of any future contact from us at any time. Depending on where you live and applicable law, you may have certain legal rights. If applicable law provides you such rights, and subject to any exceptions provided by applicable law, on receipt of a verifiable request from you, we will comply with applicable law for your rights as follows:
Request access to your Personal Data. You may have the right to request access to any Personal Data we hold about you and ask us for a copy of any Personal Data.
Request correction of your Personal Data. If you believe that any of the Personal Data we hold about you is incorrect or out of date, you have the right to correct such Personal Data by providing us with the correct up-to-date Personal Data.
Request erasure of your Personal Data. You may have the right to request that incorrect or out-of-date Personal Data held about you is deleted and we will be happy to do so unless we are prevented from doing so by law or regulation. In certain circumstances you may also have the right to ask us to erase your Personal Data.
Request to limit/restrict Personal Data. You have the right to opt out of any ancillary use of your Personal Data, including to unsubscribe to any marketing communications from us.
Request to transfer Personal Data. You may have the right to request a copy of your Personal Data in a commonly used and machine readable format to be provided to you or a third party that you specify where this is technically feasible.
Please contact us (as specified above) to request any of the above rights. Upon confirmation that you are making the request, we will confirm our obligations under applicable law. Please note that even if a request is made to delete your Personal Data, we may be permitted or required to retain a copy for our business and legal obligations as permitted or required under applicable law.
CHANGES TO THIS NOTICE
We may make changes to this Notice from time to time. If we make any material changes to this Notice or the way we use, share or collect Personal Data, we will notify you by revising the “Effective Date” at the top of this Notice. In addition, we may prominently post an announcement of the changes on our Site or send an email to the email address you most recently provided us (unless we do not have such an email address). Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to this Notice. Your continued use of our Site after any such revision shall constitute your consent to be bound by such revised Notice.
Copyright ©2022 by Child Neurology Society. All rights reserved.