The Philip R. Dodge Young Investigator Award is a prestigious award for basic science or clinical research by accomplished early stage investigators who are members of the Child Neurology Society. In 2004, the Child Neurology Society named its Young Investigator Award in honor of Dr. Philip R. Dodge, a founding giant of Pediatric Neurology with a legacy of mentoring young physician-scientists. The Dodge Award is supported by an endowment funded by CNS members and institutional contributors. The recipient of the Dodge Award will receive a grant of $30,000 and will be invited to present their work in a featured lecture at the next Annual Meeting of the Child Neurology Society.
Important changes have been made to the eligibility criteria and application instructions for the Dodge Award for 2022 and beyond. These include extending the time window of eligibility to align with the NIH criteria for Early Stage Investigator status. The application has been completely revamped to focus on research accomplishments and potential for ongoing success, rather than the proposed research to be funded by the Award per se. Applicant contributions to mentorship and fostering of the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion are now considered in the evaluation process.
- The applicant completed a child neurology or neurodevelopmental disability residency on or after June 30, 2013. Extensions of eligibility for the Dodge award due to extended clinical training or personal/familial leave of absence may be considered.
- The scientific work is mainly the result of the applicant’s efforts.
- The applicant is a Junior or Active member of the Child Neurology Society.
- Candidates may have been awarded NIH funding of any type.
- Candidates should consider applying before their final year of eligibility, allowing them the opportunity to resubmit in consideration of the review committee’s critiques.
Deadline for application submission is April 15, 2023. Applicants will be informed of the CNS Awards Committee’s decision by June 12.
Bhooma Aravamuthan, MD, DPhil
St. Louis, MO
Monica Lemmon, MD
Hsiao-Tuan Chao, MD, PhD
Louis Dang, MD
Christopher Elitt, MD