The Ethics Committee focuses on applied bioethical issues in clinical child neurology and neuroscience research—including medical, social, legal, cultural, and epidemiological issues. The Ethics Committee applies the traditional principles of biomedical ethics in evaluating contemporary clinical dilemmas or contentious topics.
The Ethics Committee has five major tasks:
- Partner with the American Academy of Neurology (AAN) to provide the child neurology perspective to their discussions, presentations, and publications focused on advocacy and the interface between ethics, law, and the humanities.
- Develop clinical guidelines and statements to members regarding matters of ethical importance.
- Strive to publish such guidelines once the CNS Board approves them.
- Partner with the CNS Practice Committee to add ethics perspectives in developing practice guidelines.
- Develop seminar or symposium proposals on contemporary ethics topics for presentation at the annual CNS meeting.
William David Graf (Chair) Irina Anselm (Associate Chair) Janet Soul (Board Liaison) Meghan Candee Ryan Cappa Susan Duberstein Leon G. Epstein Kimberly Goodspeed Monica Lemmon Robert A. Nahouraii Anu Venkat Kirsten Wilhelm Courtney Jane Wusthoff